Home » Respiratory
Category Archives: Respiratory
Slide show from session on ventilating in asthma.
1. Low respiratory rate 6-10/min.
2. Tolerate hypercapnia and consequent respiratory acidosis to > 7.1
3. Maximise I:E ratio – 1:4 – 1:5
4. Reduce your inspiratory time by increasing your flow – 80-90 L/min if you can
5. Watch you plateau pressure NOT your peak inspiratory pressure – aim <30
6. Reduce FiO2 to achieve sats >90%
7. ZEEP – zero PEEP – see the accompanying article for more information
Following on from teaching this week – follow the link for more information on ‘the Vortex’.
A new ‘algorithm’ for managing an airway during RSI for managing unanticipated difficult airway.
From The Vortex Approach by Nicholas Chrimes and Peter Fritz
Here is a tute from last week on why we use a VBG in the ED rather than an ABG, how to analyse it and a few unworked examples.
Feel free to post your answers.